Innovative solutions for resource- and energy efficient processing of light metals
The production and processing of metals play a decisive role in modern lightweight construction. Our research leads to more efficient, stable, productive and less expensive forming processes and to the optimal application of modern materials.
Bulk Metal Forming
Components produced by bulk metal forming processes are indispensable parts for assemblies and structures.
Metal Sheet Forming
Sheet metals parts form essential components in the transport industry, as example bodies in with in the automotive industry.
Mechanical properties of final products, particularly strength or formability, are directly related to evolution of the material microstructure along a production line.
Digital materials and processes
Digitalization of manufacturing processes includes digitalization of material data. In recent years, LKR has continuously driven a digitalization process of materials information.
Metal Extrusion Simulation
Simulation of the metal extrusion process to improve tool designs, optimize process parameters and thus improve process performance
- Development of new forming processes (at laboratory and semi-industrial scale)
- Optimization of process chains in sheet and bulk metal forming
- Extrusion, forging and rolling on semi-industrial scale facilities including manufacturing of precursor material
- Optimization of heat treatment processes
- Material characterization
- Damage evaluation
- Numerical simulation of forming processes (forging, extrusion, cutting, …)
- Prediction of simultaneous microstructure evolution and prediction kinetics along a production line.
- In-house validation of models and simulations by using lab-scale and semi-industrial equipment