Sheet metal is integral to a monocoque construction and thus the basic structure of a vehicle. Stricter safety regulations and increasing demands on design and construction necessitate a fundamental understanding of the mechanisms involved in sheet forming. Smaller drawing radii, greater draw depths and higher-strength alloys, while component geometry remains essentially the same, require a precise knowledge of material and processing parameters.
By taking a holistic approach to the process chain, the AIT in collaboration with university partners in Austria and abroad has been able to develop a thorough understanding of the relevant process parameters. While developing this knowledge, investment has also been made in a new infrastructure which provides a platform for addressing fundamental research issues as well as industry-related problems.
- Addressing sheet metal forming issues
- Profile bending optimization
- Manufacturing of Demonstrators and testing of industry-grade sheet metal structures
- Testing to improve formability, in particular that of high-strength alloys
- Support with forming processes in a technological as well as scientific capacity