Jump to content
Lithium Silicides as Anode Materials for Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Evaluate 3-D mesoporous lithium silicide as a viable anode material in Li-ion batteries.
- Create an effective, stable LiF-coated mesoporous LixSi materials, enhancing their stability in ambient conditions and during electrode processing.
- Silicon (Si) is one of the most promising anode materials for next-generation high-energy lithium-ion batteries due to its theoretical charge capacity, which is ten times higher than that of graphite.
- However, Si anodes themselves pose challenges: large volume changes during charging/discharging, and their low Coulombic efficiency in the first cycles consumes a large amount of lithium due to continuous solid electrolyte interphase (SEI) layer formation.
- LIANO aims to overcome these limitations by developing novel mesoporous lithium silicides by using template/self assembly and impregnation techniques.
- To counteract the high reactivity of the lithium silicide and to produce an air-stable material, a protective layer of lithium fluoride will be developed.
- LIANO will contribute to the optimization of the synthesized LiF-coated lithium silicide to enable the development of a new stable anode material for high-energy Li ion batteries with higher storage capacities, especially for traction applications.
- LIANO – Lithium Silicides as Anode Materials for Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Programme: Mobilität der Zukunft
- Funding agendy: Österreichische Forschungsförderungsgesellschaft (FFG)
- Duration of project: 10.2019 – 09.2020
- Projectcoordination: AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH