The typical career progression within this career model starts with a position as a Junior Scientist, followed by a position as Scientist. Once you have deepened your knowledge, established an excellent reputation in the scientific community and developed an extensive national and international network, the next step may be the position of Senior Scientist.
As a Scientist you focus on areas of applied science, research, handling research proposals, research projects and project management. Furthermore, as a scientist:
- you identify and address new scientific topics.
- you establish connections between AIT and the scientific community through publications, lectures, and partnerships.
- you are responsible for identifying scientifically relevant developments in your field.
- you help define the strategic direction of the unit’s research portfolio and the possible exploitation potential.
- you identify research opportunities and acquire the corresponding research projects.
- you manage research projects.
- you mentor interns and Master and PhD students.
Among the positions at AIT, Thematic Coordinators fulfill a particularly important role. They are responsible for the scientific management and development of specific thematic research areas (research fields) within their competence units. As a Thematic Coordinator:
- You close ties to cooperation partners within the scientific community and AIT customers allow you to identify future key scientific topics.
- You actively shape and implement the AIT research strategy in your specialist area.
- You are responsible for the acquisition of national and international research projects.
- You take responsibility for developing the experts in your team and resource management and may be appointed Deputy Head of the Competence Unit.
Within the scientific career model, the Principal Scientists play a prominent role. This is the top level of the Science-career path at AIT. The selection process is comparable to the procedures for appointing university professors. As a Principal Scientist:
- You focus on establishing, expanding, and interlinking scientific core competencies.
- You highlight the scientific expertise at AIT.
- You enhance cooperation with universities.
- You engage with strategically significant clients and manage large, occasionally high-risk research projects.