Functionally Integrated E-axle Ready for Mass Market Third GENeration Electric Vehicles
FITGEN aims at developing a functionally integrated e-axle ready for implementation in third generation electric vehicles.
It is delivered at TRL and MRL 7 in all its components and demonstrated on an electric vehicle platform designed for the European market (A-segment reference platform). The e-axle is composed of a latest generation Buried-Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Machine, driven by a SiC-inverter and coupled with a high-speed transmission. It is complemented by a DC/DC-converter for high voltage operation of the motor in traction and for enabling superfast charging of the 40kWh battery (120kW-peak) plus an integrated AC/DC on-board charger. The e-axle also includes a breakthrough cooling system which combines the water motor/inverter circuit with transmission oil.
The FITGEN e-axle delivers significant advances over the 2018 State of the Art:
- 40% increase of the power density of the e-motor, with operation up to 22,500rpm
- 50% increase of the power density of the inverter, thanks to the adoption of SiC-components
- affordable super-fast charge capability (120kW-peak) enabled by the DC/DC-converter, integrated with single- or 3-phase AC/DC-charger
- increase of the electric driving range from 740 to 1,050km (including 75 minutes of charging time) in real-world freeway driving with the use of auxiliaries.
The FITGEN e-axle will enter the market in the year 2023, reaching a production volume target of 200,000 units/year by 2025 and of 700,000 units/year by 2030. It is designed to be brand-independent and to fit different segments and configurations of electric vehicles, including hybrids. The FITGEN consortium includes one car-maker and three automotive suppliers for motor, power electronics, and transmission, reproducing the complete supply chain of the e-axle. Their expertise is leveraged by the partnership with research institutions and academia, constituting an ideal setup for strengthening the competitiveness of the European automotive industry.
- FITGEN - Functionally Integrated E-axle Ready for Mass Market Third GENeration Electric Vehicles
- Programme: H2020-EU.3.4. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Smart, Green And Integrated Transport
- Funding agency: European Commission
- Duration of project: 01/2019 - 12/2021
- Project coordination: AIT Austrian Institute of Technology
- Centro Ricerche FIAT SCPA
- Fundacion Tecnalia Research & Innovation
- BRUSA Elektronik AG
- Politecnico di Torin
- STMicroelectronics SRL
- Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel