Participative approach to uncover viable solutions against publication bias
- Description of realistic scenarios for preventing non-publication bias in RCTs engaging stakeholders in a future-oriented, participative process
- Identification of key drivers of change and viable measures to change current practice
Task 5.1 - Scoping
Scoping provides the necessary conceptual and organizational basis for involving stakeholders in the scenario process (tasks 5.2, 5.3 and 5.5) and comprises the following steps:
- Conceptualization and design of the scenario process
- Characterization of key challenges identified with respect to publication bias, including stakeholder mapping (WP1) and barriers vs. facilitators (WP3)
- Preparation and organization of the scenario workshops
Task 5.2 - Foresighting
- Embedding the key issue of preventing non-publication bias in RCTs in the broader future social, technical, economic and political (STEEP) context
- Application of foresight techniques to gather information on relevant trends, visions and challenges
Task 5.3 - Scenario-building
Experts and stakeholders will be invited to collectively create multiple, alternative visions of the future (‘scenarios’). Scenarios are developed in interactive dialogue sessions and will address:
- Goals and needs for change
- Key drivers and key activities to initiate change
- Challenges and opportunities for different stakeholders
Task 5.4 - Institutional Arrangements (part 2)
- Identification of main driving forces on the basis of developed scenarios (task 5.3)
- Assessment of scenarios with regard to promising activities to prevent publication bias in an institutional context and revision of the previously developed framework for the discussion of impacts of interventions for changing practices (task 3.4)
This task integrates outcomes of WP2, WP3 and WP5, and serves as input for task 5.5.
Task 5.5 - Roadmapping
Synthesizing plausible scenarios based on the results of tasks 5.3 and 5.4 into a roadmap with a focus on:
- Where is the need for action?
- What are key drivers of change?
- What are medium- and long-term goals and milestones?
- What are promising paths of development and viable measures for attaining goals?
- Who are key stakeholders and what are their roles and contributions?