Smart Secondary Substations are a key asset for future electric distribution systems. They provide monitoring and control capabilities to optimize grid operation, enabling higher hosting capacities for renewables, predictive maintenance and improved system efficiency.
AIT supports providers of control solutions with cutting edge digital analytics and control designs, as well as substation vendors and grid operators with designs of cost-effective, secure and interoperable automation systems in secondary substations.
As a showcase and for testing purposes, AIT has built its own Smart Secondary Substation S4, which combines state-of-the-art hardware, software, controls and ICT implementations.
- Design support for modular, interoperable and efficient substations
- Prototyping of substation applications, based on our hands-on experience with MV/LV OLTCs, automated switchgear and associated protocols (e.g. IEC 60870-5-104, Modbus, IEC 61850, OPC UA, CIM, USEF)
- Functionality validation & interoperability testing
- Risk and impact assessment
- Cyber security assessment and best practice security Solutions
- Trainings and seminars
- Vendor-independent consulting on secondary substation designs
- Seamless transition from substation design to field integration using pre-field lab testing
- Increased return on investment through advanced substation applications