In electric vehicles power electronics with silicon carbide (SiC) based semiconductors seems to offer a wide spectrum of advantages compared to standard IGBT technology. In STRIVE a high performance SiC traction inverter is built to demonstrate the full potential of the new technology.
- SiC based inverter allows high efficiency as well as high-power density and is chosen to substitute conventional silicon-based technology
- Inverter is based on special pre-series SIC automotive half bridge power modules exclusively provided by the manufacturer
- A nominal output power of 340kW and a maximal phase current of over 500A @ 800V is to be expected
- Strive – HIGH PERFORMANCE SIC TRACTION INVERTER
- Programme: AIT independed research program
- Duration of project: 01/2019 - 03/2021
ON Semiconductor (https://www.onsemi.com/)