Development and demonstration of materials and manufacturing process for ultra-high reliability electric Anti-ice/De-ice thermal layers for high strain rotor blades and airframe sections of a civil tilt-rotor
Next Generation Civil Tilt Rotor Leonardo ©Leonardo S.p.A.
Icing conditions are a major safety concern in aviation and most commercial aircraft have to be equipped with an ice protection system in order to operate safely during such conditions. NO-ICE ROTOR is about developing and manufacturing an ice protection system for the rotor blades of Leonardo’s Next Generation advanced tilt civil rotorcraft.
The overall objectives of the project are:
- Design and develop an heater layer embedded into the rotorblade composite structure
- Design and manufacture the ice protection system (IPS) demonstrator
- Validate the structural and environmental performance with tests on coupons
- Validate the ice protection system performance by testing the demonstrator in a large scale Icing Wind Tunnel
- NO-ICE-ROTOR - Development and demonstration of materials and manufacturing process for ultra high reliability electric Anti-ice/De-ice thermal layers for high strain rotor blades and helicopter airframe sections
- Programme: H2020-EU.126.96.36.199. - IADP Fast Rotorcraft
- Funding agencie(s): EU
- Duration of project: 01/2017 – 12/2020
- Projectcoordination: VILLINGER GMBH (http://www.villinger.com/)