AIT’s Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DSAI) unit provides data science consulting and solutions for making informed decisions based on large, heterogeneous, and real-time data under strict conditions of IT security and data protection. DSAI is a multidisciplinary group of experienced scientists and engineers with diverse backgrounds - from data analytics, applied mathematics and statistics, to information security, and the humanities.
The DSAI team provides expertise for each step in a data science workflow, which typically begins with a clear hypothesis or problem formulation and covers the following subsequent phases: data aggregation and normalization, data analytics, data visualization, as well as data publication and preservation. All these phases can be built on strong security measures, providing privacy, confidentiality, and integrity. DSAI applies this workflow in three thematic areas: Cultural Data Science, Industrial Data Science and Data Science for Public Security.
Within the Data Science workflow, Artificial Intelligence (or AI) is becoming an ever-more important technique for the analysis of large datasets, whether these consist of numeric, textual, or audio-visual information. DSAI strives to use Data Science methods and tools to provide applied Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications at scale.
Team members have a strong, international reputation in academia, organize international workshops and conferences and are closely connected with local communities by organizing meetups (e.g., Vienna R Meetup, Deep Learning Meetup Vienna).
Collaborating with industry and academia, DSAI has been providing methods and tools for solving real-world data-oriented problems. Examples include:
- Analytics for understanding virtual currency ecosystems, such as Bitcoin (GraphSense, VIRTCRIME, TITANIUM)
- Methods for using blockchain technology to drive data ecosystems (Data Market Austria)
- Solutions for the large-scale integration, analysis and visualization of Digital Humanities data (Pelagios, Europeana)
- Network monitoring and anomaly detection on large data sets for Cyber security (BigDama)
DSAI’s technical competences include
- Statistical modelling (R)
- Machine learning, including Deep Neural Networks (SciKit Learn, Tensorflow, Keras, Pytorch)
- Scalable data engineering and analytics (e.g., Spark, Cassandra, Hadoop)
- Information visualization (D3.js, Mapbox GL JS)
- Blockchain technologies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Hyperledger)