The quantum key distribution (QKD) system AIT QKD EPR-SYS-405 is available as a standard prototype for research and teaching.
- Implementation of EPR protocol
- AIT QKD protocol stack
- Wavelength 810 nm
- Range of optical transmission 0 - 5 km
- Transmission range without optical fibre with telescope in the dark approx. 0 - 500 m
- Operating temperature 10-40 °C
- Guaranteed key generation rate at distance 0 m min. 1kbit/s
- Key generation rate at a distance of 5 km min. 0.2 kbit/s
The AIT technology is also available in combination with “PrimeSign”, a solution provided by Datentechnik Innovation. In this configuration, QKD is designed to secure communication between a hardware security module and the Web front-end.
Two other quantum key distribution systems are currently under development:
- a quantum key distribution system for PON structures – developed as part of the LQNet project, funded by the Vienna Science and Technology Fund (WWFT);
- a quantum key distribution system which can be operated without the need for a dedicated optical fibre link in parallel to DWDM (Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing) communication – developed as part of the QKD (Telko) project, funded by the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG).
AIT is also working on combining the key distribution systems with a high-security encryption box, which is a prerequisite for the development of a complete communication encryption system for industry.
In addition to these technological developments our experts are also carrying out market analyses and technical studies on ground-to-satellite quantum key distribution in cooperation with ESA.