MobilePass will focus on research and development towards technologically advanced mobile equipment at land border crossing points. This will allow border control authorities to check European, visa-holding and frequent third country travellers in a comfortable, fast and secure way. The mobile solution incorporates new technologies needed in mobile scenarios and embeds them in the actual border crossing workflow to speed up control procedures.
MobilePass brings together system- and component producers, research institutions and governmental authorities. The entire innovation process, from components development to the integration into an efficient workflow will continuously be evaluated by border guard authorities.
Aspects of a fast border crossing by legitimate travellers are:
- a reliable and convenient capture of biometric and passport data
- dependable, secure wireless data transfer,
- and a modular mobile equipment optimized to the border control workflow.
Improved traveller identification technologies, such as contactless fingerprint capture and advanced mobile facial capture will increase the security, minimise spoofing and evasion, while making the control less cumbersome for passengers. A system evaluation and demonstration will be done in two different member states. Compliance with European societal values and citizens’ rights is central to the acceptance of the developed technologies, and will accompany the development throughout the project.
- Project start: 2nd Quarter 2014
- Project duration: 2,5 years
- Funding: Security Call, 7th Framework Programme
- Coordinator: AIT Austrian Institute of Technology
- Partner: 11 European partners