Plants frequently encounter adverse growth conditions. Drought, extreme temperatures, soil contamination with salts or heavy metals, and pathogen infections are examples of environmental constraints that limit agronomic yield. Our work focuses on how signal transduction regulates the coordinated response of metabolism and chromatin function (gene expression) which ultimately determines whether a plant is able to acclimate to fluctuating and/or adverse conditions. We apply a combination of genetic, biochemical and physiological approaches to unravel molecular mechanisms underlying stress tolerance and explore their potential for innovative crop improvement strategies.
- H. Stampfl, M. Fritz, S. Dal Santo, C. Jonak (2016). The GSK3/Shaggy-like kinase ASKα contributes to pattern-triggered immunity in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Phys, 171, 1366-1377.
- S. Waidmann, B. Kusenda, J. Mayerhofer, K. Mechtler, C. Jonak (2014). A DEK Domain-Containing Protein Modulates Chromatin Structure and Function in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell, 26, 4328-4344.
- W. Rozhon, W. Wang, F. Berthiller, J. Mayerhofer, T. Chen, E. Petutschnig, T. Sieberer, B. Poppenberger, C. Jonak (2014). Bikinin-like inhibitors targeting GSK3/Shaggy-like kinases: characterisation of novel compounds and elucidation of their catabolism in planta. BMC Plant Biology, 14, 172.
- J. Krasensky, C. Broyart, F. Rabanal, C. Jonak (2014). The redox-sensitive chloroplast trehalose-6-phosphate phosphatase AtTPPD regulates salt stress tolerance. Antioxid Redox Signal, 21, 1289-1304.
- O. Popova, H.Q. Dinh, W. Aufsatz, C. Jonak (2013). The RdDM Pathway Is Required for Basal Heat Tolerance in Arabidopsis. Mol. Plant, 6, 396-410.
- S. Dal Santo, H. Stampfl, J. Krasensky, S. Kempa, Y. Gibon, E. Petutschnig, W. Rozhon, A. Heuck, T. Clausen, C. Jonak (2012). Stress-Induced Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3 (GSK3) Regulates the Redox Stress Response by Phosphorylating Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell, 24, 3380-3392.
- J. Krasenksy and C. Jonak (2012). Drought, salt, and temperature stress-induced metabolic rearrangements and regulatory networks. J Exp Bot. 63, 1593-1608.
- M.T. Hauser, W. Aufsatz, C. Jonak, C. Luschnig (2011). Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance in plants. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1809, 459-468.