BMVIT / FFG initiated the study "Austrian Materials Foresight” in order to maintain Austria’s excellent position in the segment of materials and products in the future. A three-stage process was developed, which consists of the pre-, main- and shaping phases.
In a further process step potentials for disruptive innovations were identified in workshops with experts and via interviews. These potentials are in the fields:
- Self-healing, damage-tolerant or highly viscous materials
- New design and development methods for "tailor-made" materials
- Materials for medical applications and endoprosthetics
- Sustainable Materials and Recycling
- Electrochemical physical energy production and storage
The fields “Sustainable Materials and Recycling" and "Electrochemical physical Energy production and storage” have a highest potential for ambitious impact in Austria (compatible with the existing competences, infrastructures, and industry).
AIT’s role in the project was to design and implement the foresight process.
Key Words: Foresight, Scenario Development, Structural Material
Start: April 2013
Duration: 18 months
Funded by: FFG
Contact: Marianne Hörlesberger